Monday, May 4, 2009

Playoff Beards



Fuck it, I'm growing a playoff beard. It's a great way to support the most exciting time of year when it comes to hockey. And a great excuse to look like a samsquench for a couple weeks.

As usual it's a mayhem monday. I got the bright idea to do some outdoor barbell lunges on Saturday in lieu of heavy event training at the Garage. I used a 135lb barbell and lunged down and back on the 100' long driveway at Pete's Garage.
Not extremely heavy, so I did 4 trips.

Needless to say I'm walking a little slow today.

The point that I want to convey here is that even though I wasn't able to beat myself to a pulp with the usual flurry of heavy event training, like stone lifting, farmers walks, yoke carry's and tire flipping, I was still able to get some forward progress.

Here's what a typical Saturday would look like:
Warm-up
Log jerks
Farmers walk, working up to a heavy weight (300+lbs per hand) or distance.
Atlas stones, either runs, reps or heavy singles
Tire fliping

This is what I did this Saturday to change gears a bit (mostly because I'm still nursing a fucked up back)
Warm-up
Light log press (no jerk pressing)
Kicked a soccer ball around for about 10mins
Barbell lunges
Arm over arm sled drag
running sled drag for cardio

I know how easy it would've been to just stay at home. But I wanted to show up and help out loading plates and coaching the other guys that train at Pete's Garage.
I ended up having a pretty intense leg session via the lunges and I feel that the movement that I did do has helped me improve my mobility in the tight hips and low back.

Lets review.

Don't be a pussy and stay home, get out and do whatever you can and then go and pat yourself on the back on the internet like any internet tough guy would.

No comments: